Sheryl Balthrop is an accomplished trial attorney and mediator serving families, businesses and organizations since 1991. Sheryl values the trust placed in her by her clients at pivotal moments in their lives, and is dedicated to accomplishing the best possible outcomes for them.
Far too often, families under pressure must choose between a highly skilled dispute resolution practitioner and an experienced trial attorney. Sheryl’s clients have the best of both worlds. Sheryl’s clients have the confidence of knowing that they are in capable hands for pursuing a reasonable resolution. However, if resolution is not possible or desirable under the circumstances, Sheryl’s clients have a highly skilled advocate ready to vigorously represent their interests in court.
Experienced Trial Attorney
Sheryl has extensive trial experience in family and business law. She has successfully litigated complex matters throughout the state of Oregon for over 25 years. In addition, Sheryl has served as a trial practice workshop instructor and speaker.
Sheryl is a highly trained and effective mediator. With arrangements being made upon initial contact with the firm, Sheryl provides neutral expert assistance to individuals, businesses and organizations in conflict to help them privately resolve disputes on their own. Sheryl’s broad legal experience, superior problem-solving skills, and compassionate and nuanced communication abilities permit her to effectively assist parties with a variety of legal matters and disputes. Such matters range from large matters in litigation to difficult family conversations. Sheryl assists parties with all aspects of the process including negotiation, development of a plan for redress or going forward, and preparation of needed legal documentation.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law and Divorce
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Trials and Hearings
- Business and Intellectual Property
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law
- B.A., English, Robert D. Clark Honors College, University of Oregon
- Oregon State Bar President’s Public Service Award, 2017
- 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in Oregon for Client Satisfaction, 2015
- Andrew J. Clement Exceptional Service Award, 2012
- ShelterCare Hero Award, 2008
Community & Professional Involvement
- Board Member, Eugene Mission
- Past Chair, Eugene Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Eugene Airport Rotary
- Counsel, ShelterCare
- Past Director, The Child Center (Springfield)
- Past Board Member, Oregon Mediation Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- American Bar Association
- Past Director, Lane County Bar Association
- Past Co-Chair, Oregon State Bar New Lawyers Division
- Continuing Legal Education speaker on business law, LLCs, and creditors’ rights
- Regular service as arbitrator, business law and ethics instructor, and mentor.
More About Sheryl
Sheryl was raised on a ranch in Eastern Oregon. She is married with four adult children, and one adorable grandson. When not at the office, Sheryl is active in her church and enjoys spending time with her family and volunteering. Always a farmer at heart, she loves to dig in the dirt and help living things flourish. She continues in her quest to grow a respectable watermelon.